Erica Moody, MPT, Owner SF
Erica Moody is the managing partner of Apex Physical Therapy SF. Like her partners, Erica is a highly sought after elite sports and orthopedic physical therapist in her native Bay Area. Her interest in the field began when she was a member of her collegiate basketball team and was conducting independent research on ‘Stress Related Athletic Injuries’.
Erica has over 21 years of experience working with athletes of all levels. She has 17 years of sports medicine work experience in San Francisco and has recently returned from Vermont, after four years, where she was rehabbing a house as well as the athletes at Middlebury College.
Erica has developed an extensive skill set to address limitations throughout the kinetic chain. Manual therapy is an integral part of her practice as is movement pattern analysis and corrective work. Exercise program development, that ultimately puts the patients in charge of their own recovery, is also essential.
“No Challenge, No Change” ™ and the mind-body connection are cornerstones in her practice to help restore function, reduce the risk of injury and enhance performance.
When not in the clinic, Erica likes to share her skills in the athletic community by providing risk reduction and performance enhancement talks and classes as well as working in the medical tent at sporting events.
Erica enjoys an active lifestyle – She is a former collegiate basketball player, U18 Select Soccer player and ½ IM triathlete. She continues to run, swim, strength train, hike, snowshoe, SUP, kayak, and is always game to try new physical challenges, etc.
Education and Training:
- Master’s degree in Physical Therapy- Hahnemann University (now Drexel) 1998
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology – Middlebury College 199
- Extensive continuing education to maximize treatment outcomes and to stay current with new and more effective interventions and techniques. Certifications: Full Body Active Release Technique, Levels I-II Graston Technique, Advance Kinesio-Taping, Visceral, Manipulation Level I Abdomen, Myofascial Decompression (-) pressure, (cupping), Neuromuscular facilitation, Kinesiotaping, etc. Previously CSCS certified.
Special Clinical Interests, activities and expertise:
- Return to Sport training
- Risk Reduction and Performance Enhancement training
- Movement Pattern analysis and corrective work
- Run, jump, swim, cycle, throw, gait, biomechanical, sport and functional demand analysis.
- Manual therapy interventions such as Active Release Technique, Graston Technique, Myofascial Decompression (-) Pressure work, visceral manipulation, joint mobilizations, etc.
- Program development for team and patient exercise routines
- Community education -sport and injury specific lectures and workshops.
- Race and sport event medical tent volunteer work including 6 Ironman Hawaii Championships, Escape From Alcatraz Triathlons, Tour de California, AVP Beach Volleyball Tournaments etc.
Frequently Treated Conditions:
- Post operative orthopedic repairs
- Sports traumas
- Overuse issues
- Joint and arthritic symptoms
- Muscle strains
- Work related issues
- Movement pattern dysfunctions
- Functional limitations and compensation issues
Frequently Performed Interventions:
- Patient driven goal setting
- Manual therapies
- Patient education and home program development
- Stability and strength exercise
- Mobility and flexibility exercises
- Video analysis- biomechanical assessment
- Movement pattern corrective measurements
- Activity modifications
- Injury risk reduction and performance enhancement programs
- Return to activity programs
- Community lectures, workshops, classes – off-season, pre-season, in-season programs, risk reduction content, etc. Outreach program with the local marathon and triathlon teams, lectures for high school and collegiate teams, coaches and the general public. Water running and ski conditioning/HIIT class, etc.